Saturday, May 29, 2010

What's an HTML? Anybody? Bueller?

Spent most of the day today working on content for my new website, which is getting closer to becoming a reality. While doing so, a couple of things occurred to me:

1) I suck at anything technical, especially when it's computer oriented, making the fact that I was even able to design my original website something of a modern miracle.

HTML? It means nothing to me. It might as well be PDF or MIC-KEY-MOUSE. Seriously. I have no idea what it means. That might explain why, toward the end, when the original website was on life support, barely hanging on, I couldn't even manage to update it.

2) Maddee James of www.xuni.com is a genius as far as visual stuff is concerned. She took the information I gave her, along with some visual images that sort of created a mood I was going for, and came up with a design that I immediately fell in love with. Every couple of hours, I go back and look at it again, just to be sure it's as good as I remember, and it always is.

Hang on.

Yep, went and checked, and it's still cool.

As good as the design is, though, the content of the site is still my responsibility, and that's why I was working so hard on it today. The site will be live soon and I want it to reflect the level of professionalism I try to display, while still giving curious web-surfers some idea of my personality and writing style, hopefully convincing them to buy FINAL VECTOR when it comes out next February.

It sounds like it should be easy and I thought it would be, but it's like everything else with this writing gig - a lot harder than it looks.

Anyway, the process is ongoing; I still have a few things to iron out. But when www.allanleverone.com relaunches, I will be celebrating with a very special contest. I'm not ready to announce the specifics yet, but it's going to be way cool. At least I think so.

Stay tuned.

And Happy Memorial Day, everybody. Sometime during the weekend, between the barbecues and cookouts and pool parties and other fun stuff, let's pause for a moment or two to remember the all the service men and women who have fought and died to defend our country over the last two hundred thirty-four years...

No comments: