Sunday, May 2, 2010

This Bridesmaid Dress is Hideous

The voting for the 2010 Derringer Awards concluded on April 30, with the results being released yesterday, May 1. I figured I was facing an uphill battle the minute I saw some of the competition I was facing for Best Novellette, and I was right on target.

Dave Zeltserman won with his story, "Julius Katz," and I can't really complain, it was a wonderful story with a little bit of a twist on the typical PI tale. Coming in second was Toni LP Kelner with "The Pirate's Debt," and my entry, "Uncle Brick and Jimmy Kills" finished third in the voting.

All of the stories - including the ones that finished with fewer votes than mine - were outstanding, and I wouldn't have been shocked to see any of them win, but I figured going in that "Julius Katz" was the favorite and I was proven right, although the top two stories were neck and neck in the voting.

I can honestly say I'm thrilled with my third-place finish, although I would be lying if I said I wouldn't have been happier to win. But I improved on my results from last year, when I was fortunate enough to place two stories in the finals of the Best Short Story category, only to see them finish in fourth and fifth place.

Congratulations to the winners in all four categories:

Hamilton Waymire for Best Flash Story - "And Here's To You, Mrs. Edwardson," which appeared in Big Pulp.

Anita Page for Best Short Story - ""Twas the Night," which appeared in The Gift of Murder.

Doug Allyn for Best Long Story - "Famous Last Words," which appeared in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine.

Dave Zeltserman for Best Novellette - "Julius Katz," which appeared in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine.

Finally, chosen as the recipient of the Edward D. Hoch Memorial Golden Derringer for Lifetime Achievement was Lawrence Block.

No comments: